Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cricut Challenge: #5 Beyond Birthdays (or THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 5 MINUTE CARD BUT TOOK ALMOST HALF AN HOUR!)

Today's project was done with Beyond Birthdays....a great card cartridge that has all kinds of celebratory word art and cut out cards.

Cricut Shapes Cartridge: Beyond Birthdays

And here's my cute little card which I also entered in the CAS-Friday challenge (this week's challenge was to make a graduation card).



Yeah, yeah, yeah...this card shouldn't have taken long at all.  You look at it...you think...well, woohoo...it's just straight cuts...you think "I can whip this out in FIVE count 'em...one, two, three, four, FIVE minutes!" 

And why did it take me nearly 30 minutes??? Well, let's begin. First of all...things always take longer than I plan because I have to fiddle with it for the longest time before I'm satisfied.  I can easily spend 10 minutes getting my bow just perfect! Secondly I cut the card the wrong size to fit an A2 envelope...TWICE before getting it the way I want it on the third try!     Anyway, I decided I was going to make a "Congrats" card for another high school graduate.  I wanted something simple because the graduate happens to be a young man and I didn't want anything too ornate or frilly.  I thought this pre-cut card base and "Congrats" wordart would be perfect.   I decided to cut out another front (frame) from the star paper to give it a little something extra but there is not a frame feature to this card so I had to cut out the card again...and then I just trimmed it down to get the look I wanted.  I added a tinsely ribbon and was just about done!


 I decided to make a gift card holder with the leftover star paper from DCWV and used my Martha Stewart Scoreboard to make it with a 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" piece.  I punched out a small star with white paper and secured it to some foam tape to make a "button" closure.  I learned to do that at one of the Archiver's Make 'n Takes!  Love those free flowing ideas! :)

It really is a simple card but sometimes simple is best and I think this young man will be happy with it.  Well, he probably won't care about the card but will love what's in the gift card enclosure!  Let's get real.... :)

And that's it for today...tomorrow I will try to have something with Birthday Bash...the next in line in my Challenge!

8 comments:

  1. *chuckle* Well your half hour card is wonderful, despite all the problems you encountered! I love the matching gift card holder...woo hoo!
    SO glad you joined us this week at CAS-ual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially like the star cutout and the graduate will like the card as well as the gift inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my world where EVERYTHING takes longer than it should. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stars are adorable! And I love this cool cut out sentiment! What a fun card! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is worth the time as it is perfect in every way! This is fantastic that you can make it in 30 min.! So glad that you can join the fun! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects! No doubt the recipient will truly appreciate them. Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! Hope to see more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The graduate is going to love this, Susan! It's stunning. :) Thanks for following my blog (I returned the favor!) and I look forward to seeing more of what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate the time it took you to leave me a note and I will enjoy reading it. Happy Crafting!